Saturday, April 5, 2014

Mixed Shelf #4

This week the Mixed Shelf is less about fantasy, but it still has a surreal thread running through all of its novels. However, it's less about fairies and hocus pocus and a lot more focussed on imagination and day dreaming.


Wanting: the Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
A friend of mine told me about this book and said I would probably really enjoy it. Enjoy might be too happy a word, it's actually a pretty eerie tale. But I love a bit of a gothic vibe in my books now and then, so I still hope to read it. When I came home and sat on my computer to add it to my to-read list, I noticed it was already on my Goodreads! 



Reading: the Daydreamer by Ian McEwan
Ian McEwan has written many famous novels, the Daydreamer is one most people don't seem to know. It's still the first one I've picked up. Was it the cover again? Hell yeah! But also the story, of course. Through a couple of short stories we get to follow the daydreams of a little boy named Peter. It's actually written for both children and adults.



Waiting: the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

This is a novel I actually got stuck in. I can't remember exactly why… Was it because it was too dark? Possibly. Was it because it just didn't interest me? Maybe so. Anyway, I used to love Murakami and I don't want to let this experience spoil that for me, so I want to get back into the story to give it a second chance. And otherwise grab another novel.



What's currently on your nightstand? Or to-read list of course, as that's always interesting as well!


1 comment:

  1. I love your mixed shelf posts. Reminds me of when I worked at the library and would make random color-coordinated stacks of books to read...Thanks for the comment on my blog regarding the Faire Folk Trilogy, I thought it was great that we were both a bit annoyed by Keelie's attitude. I read the second trilogy, but to be honest, it was kind of too fast-paced and nothing like the first trilogy...You should still read them though, if you have time...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...